Skip to main content

So, what do you eat?

Three notes before I begin:

1. I'm not perfect at eating clean all the time.  I have my splurge items.  And…confession: I like that.

2. I am not an expert on this subject in any means.  I am learning all about this as I go.  I have learned almost all of this information from my friend/nutritionist/personal trainer, Stephanie.  If you want expert advice, I can put you in contact with her.  She's lovely :)

And the most important one in my book…

3. This is a lifestyle.  Not a diet.  I have never once used the word "diet" to describe how I eat.  I think one of the biggest reasons eating healthy has gone great in our family is because it's just natural…normal.  When you think of it as a lifestyle and not a diet - I think you find freedom.

One of my top questions I get asked: "So, what do you eat?"

Quick response: "Um, food."

Seriously.

Almost sounds sarcastic.  I don't mean it to sound that way at all.  Sometimes I just don't know what to say when someone asks me.  And honestly, I don't know if that person really wants to hear about it all or just wants a quick answer.

I eat whole foods.  Basically, foods that don't have a label with a list of ingredients.  Most foods that have a label on the package are considered processed and have more than one ingredient - and therefore aren't whole foods.  Whole foods are fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts, low fat dairy products and grass fed & free range meats.

What do I avoid?  Processed foods and refined sugars.  From what I stated above about processed foods - that they have more than one ingredient on the label - most processed foods you will find in the middle aisles of your grocery store.  They are boxed, pre made, prepackaged, and freezer items - all things you can cook up "quickly".  (I put "quickly" in quotes because I have found it just as fast to cook up whole foods for dinner.)  Refined sugars are things like high fructose corn syrup (soda), sugar that you would use in baking or in your coffee, and brown sugar.

Eating this way has taken time.

A lot of time.

I didn't just give up ketchup over night.  (Yes, you read that right: ketchup.  I can't find any here that are even remotely healthy.  Maybe Stateside they have some?  No idea.  But, really, I don't miss it.  Give me some whole grain mustard any day now and I am a happy camper.)

One of the ways that I knew that I legitimately crave healthy food for me was this past Thanksgiving.  I have had a box of Stovetop stuffing that was sent to us before I completely switched over to eating clean in my pantry.  This is a BIG DEAL folks.  We can't buy that stuff here.  It's pretty much considered sacred among ex-pats.  It's one of my favorite things to look forward to at Thanksgiving…and I didn't make it.  Instead, I planned a clean Thanksgiving meal for my family and it was even more delicious than that box of stuffing.

I was proud.

So, what do I eat?

Yummy foods.

I have been thinking about what I want for this blog.  And one weekly post I would like to include is a day of sharing a meal/recipe that our family loves or one that we're going to try out.  I think that might be the best way to share "what do I eat".  I'll try to take pictures too.

And to get that started…here's what we had the other night:
Aren't all the colors so pretty?  I love that.

Veggie fried rice.  I love veggie fried quinoa but I haven't found quinoa lately at the store when I've looked (this is another hard part of living overseas - sometimes the store has it and other times they are out).

Basically, just toss in a skillet all the veggies you want.  I think I did broccoli, peppers, onion, carrots.  I scrambled up some egg whites and tossed it together with some brown rice and a bit of soy sauce.

Delicious.

There are many parts to this subject of "so, what do you eat?".  Too much for one post.  I'd love to share about how planning and prepping meals for the week is essential, how drinking water is key, how to shop in the grocery store, what it's like to shop in another country, what my splurges look like, how I eat out in a restaurant, and how to get your kids to eat healthy.

But, that will have to be for another time.

Happy Sunday, friends.










Comments

  1. SOOOOOO excited to have found your blog!!! And I can not WAIT to read all your weekly meal ideas (and totally copy them for my family <3)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Threw Out the Scale

A week ago I parted ways with our bathroom scale. Adios. Kwaheri. So long. See ya later. It didn't say what I wanted it to...so I tossed it out. :) True statement. But, a bit more to it than that. In about 10 days time, I gained 5kg. Folks, that's 11 pounds. Honestly, it's just not possible. Ok, maybe it is possible in a certain setting. But, I wasn't eating food like that to gain that weight or it wasn't like I wasn't not working out. It didn't make sense. Lack of sleep. (Tried to nap today.  Kyle declares me the worst napper ever.  He says I'm worse when I nap.  Thanks, love.) Stress. Sick.  (Just found out that this nasty lingering cough/tiredness for the past 6-7 weeks all of us have had is walking pneumonia.) Maybe it was my RA meds?  I've been on them for a while but maybe something shifted and that caused the weight gain? Maybe something else? I don't know. It was so depressing to know I just dropp

How does she do it?

There was a movie years back with that title, I think. Basically wondering how a mom could balance all the different area of life and keep it looking pretty good. Here's the answer: she's not doing it all. It's just not possible to "have it all together". Gah. Why do I try? Because I'm human.  And I'm ridiculous.  And I think I can. My kids keep me in check most of the time. Oh mom, you wanted to blow dry your hair in the morning?  And have that extra time to shave your legs in the shower? Mom, you're crazy.  You are just hanging with us.  No need to dry your hair or shave your legs!  Plus, I need you to hurry up and get out of the shower and tell Daddy that I can have chocolate for breakfast.  Puh-lease! Somedays I wonder why I even have a beautiful dry erase board to write down all my tasks for the day.  They just don't get done. What do I do all day then?  Where does my time go? (We won't go here because most parents

A twist on taco night!

Oh. my. goodness. These honey-lime sweet potato, black bean, & corn tacos were DELISH. We ate it up so fast that I forgot to even take a picture of how lovely it was. Please, please, please make these.  So good. A couple changes we did though: We put the mixture of the potatoes, beans, & corn on a bed of lettuce (1 cup).   I decreased the amount of honey it calls for from 3 TBSP to 1 TBSP and it was still plenty sweet.  I think next time I might omit it altogether b/c the sweet potatoes are well…already sweet.   For the toppings, we skipped the cheese and topped with 1 TBSP homemade guacamole and 1 TBSP homemade salsa.   It was a quick meal too to make.  Bonus for busy nights.   For those of you that count calories…it was a bit over 300 calories (around 310) for 1 heaping cup of the bean/potato/corn mixture (actually 1 1/6 cups) plus 2 cups of lettuce and 2 TBSP of each homemade guacamole and salsa.  To make it feel like I had "seconds" - I did a