Skip to main content

Craving a burger & chips?

Oh wait.  Chips?  That's what you all in the States call french fries.

Burger & fries?

It's a meal that I used to love.

A good cheeseburger with mayo, lettuce, onion, pickle, tomato on a warm bun.  Add in some fries with ketchup.  Ok, and let's be honest…add a coke.  Oh, a cherry coke.

My type of comfort food.

When we started to change the way we ate, I knew that in making this a lifestyle, that I was going to have to have my type of "comfort foods".

For the first 6 weeks of changing how we ate, I had my friend & nutritionist, Stephanie, plan all our meals.  It helped me get to know what type of foods to eat, portion sizes, and just help me out with meal  planning and prep work.

It was bliss.

She even wrote out all my grocery lists of things I needed to buy at the store for the week.  Talk about a  mama's dream.  It was heavenly.

One of the meals she planned out for me were these chicken avocado burgers.

Oh. My. 'Lanta.  (Yes, I inserted this phrase just for some of my dearest friends.)

These burgers are so good.  And you won't miss the bun at all - I promise.

We load them up with all kind of veggies…lettuce, tomato, onions, cucumber.  Sometimes we add jalapeños for a kick.  Or, sometimes we throw in a bit of a whole grain mustard on the top.  

My mouth is watering and I just ate dinner.

What do you eat with it?

Sweet potato chips….or sweet potato fries.  Whatever you want to call them.

We'll also add in some green beans or carrots or another veggie too.

Friends, make these.  You won't regret them.

(Now, before I show the picture below I have to tell you that 1) my sweet potato chips are missing because they finished baking in the oven before anything else was done and I ate my portion before I even sat down for dinner and 2) I am not a photographer so the picture might not beckon you immediately to go and make these burgers…but please ignore the picture and just make them.)

Oh, and 3.  A tip from me to you.  One of the best ways we've handled eating correct portion sizes is that we eat every meal off of a plastic kids plate from IKEA….unless we have guests over…then we get all fancy and break out our normal size plates.


Here's what you need to make them:
1 pound ground chicken
1 large ripe avocado - cut into chunks
1/2 oat or almond flour
1 chopped clove of garlic
salt & pepper to taste

Here's how to make them:
Toss avocado, garlic, & flour together.
Blend mixture into ground chicken - being careful not to mush the avocado.
Form into patties (we can make around 5-6) and grill until done.

Easy easy!  Let me know how you like them!

What's your favorite clean comfort food meal?

Comments

  1. hey friend! i tried this recipe this week. it was super yummy! i did wonder if you have any tips on the grilling part though? my patties had a tough time staying together, probably from being sort of stuck to the pan (even though i'd oiled the pan). maybe i could bake them?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Threw Out the Scale

A week ago I parted ways with our bathroom scale. Adios. Kwaheri. So long. See ya later. It didn't say what I wanted it to...so I tossed it out. :) True statement. But, a bit more to it than that. In about 10 days time, I gained 5kg. Folks, that's 11 pounds. Honestly, it's just not possible. Ok, maybe it is possible in a certain setting. But, I wasn't eating food like that to gain that weight or it wasn't like I wasn't not working out. It didn't make sense. Lack of sleep. (Tried to nap today.  Kyle declares me the worst napper ever.  He says I'm worse when I nap.  Thanks, love.) Stress. Sick.  (Just found out that this nasty lingering cough/tiredness for the past 6-7 weeks all of us have had is walking pneumonia.) Maybe it was my RA meds?  I've been on them for a while but maybe something shifted and that caused the weight gain? Maybe something else? I don't know. It was so depressing to know I just dropp

How does she do it?

There was a movie years back with that title, I think. Basically wondering how a mom could balance all the different area of life and keep it looking pretty good. Here's the answer: she's not doing it all. It's just not possible to "have it all together". Gah. Why do I try? Because I'm human.  And I'm ridiculous.  And I think I can. My kids keep me in check most of the time. Oh mom, you wanted to blow dry your hair in the morning?  And have that extra time to shave your legs in the shower? Mom, you're crazy.  You are just hanging with us.  No need to dry your hair or shave your legs!  Plus, I need you to hurry up and get out of the shower and tell Daddy that I can have chocolate for breakfast.  Puh-lease! Somedays I wonder why I even have a beautiful dry erase board to write down all my tasks for the day.  They just don't get done. What do I do all day then?  Where does my time go? (We won't go here because most parents

A twist on taco night!

Oh. my. goodness. These honey-lime sweet potato, black bean, & corn tacos were DELISH. We ate it up so fast that I forgot to even take a picture of how lovely it was. Please, please, please make these.  So good. A couple changes we did though: We put the mixture of the potatoes, beans, & corn on a bed of lettuce (1 cup).   I decreased the amount of honey it calls for from 3 TBSP to 1 TBSP and it was still plenty sweet.  I think next time I might omit it altogether b/c the sweet potatoes are well…already sweet.   For the toppings, we skipped the cheese and topped with 1 TBSP homemade guacamole and 1 TBSP homemade salsa.   It was a quick meal too to make.  Bonus for busy nights.   For those of you that count calories…it was a bit over 300 calories (around 310) for 1 heaping cup of the bean/potato/corn mixture (actually 1 1/6 cups) plus 2 cups of lettuce and 2 TBSP of each homemade guacamole and salsa.  To make it feel like I had "seconds" - I did a