Skip to main content

The Day I Threw Out the Scale

A week ago I parted ways with our bathroom scale.

Adios.

Kwaheri.

So long.

See ya later.

It didn't say what I wanted it to...so I tossed it out.

:)

True statement.

But, a bit more to it than that.

In about 10 days time, I gained 5kg.

Folks, that's 11 pounds.

Honestly, it's just not possible.

Ok, maybe it is possible in a certain setting.

But, I wasn't eating food like that to gain that weight or it wasn't like I wasn't not working out.

It didn't make sense.

Lack of sleep. (Tried to nap today.  Kyle declares me the worst napper ever.  He says I'm worse when I nap.  Thanks, love.)

Stress.

Sick.  (Just found out that this nasty lingering cough/tiredness for the past 6-7 weeks all of us have had is walking pneumonia.)

Maybe it was my RA meds?  I've been on them for a while but maybe something shifted and that caused the weight gain?

Maybe something else?

I don't know.

It was so depressing to know I just dropped 9 pounds in 3 weeks and then to see 11 pounds put back on in a matter of 10 days.

So, I had some thoughts.

This "summer" (I use this term loosely b/c I think it's summer all year round here)...but from now till end of August, I wanted to change things up.

I made some new plans.

Toss the scale.  It's not an accurate measure for me right now for some strange reasons (and I hold firmly that it's not an accurate measure for a lot of other reasons too).

Continue to track inches (which are still on par)...if I want to know if things are reducing.

Focus on workouts that I enjoy.

Running 3x's a week.

Weights/HIIT/HIRT, etc - the other 3 days.

Become stronger in those.

Do not say one negative thing about my body (which is still coming back from giving birth.  Yes, it's just been 8 months...but it's still JUST BEEN 8 MONTHS!).

Enjoy food.  I'm not talking cheat days everyday here.  But, I love to cook.  I love trying new foods.  I said I'd make one new recipe a week.  (Tonight: tempeh bulgogi) Find healthy ways to incorporate this in.

LIFESTYLE, peeps.

I'm trying to find ways to lower my stress.  Enjoy more.  Maybe get sleep (although no naps b/c I stink at them).

I have a pair of shorts that I would love to fit into again hanging up as some motivation but those just might take even more time to fit into.

And, you know what...that's ok.

Here's to a summer of ENJOYING what I love.

So, if you see me at the cafe having a smoothie or scone with my kiddos...I'm enjoying :)

Marathon training starts end of August - things will be shifting soon enough.  (Side note: I looked for shoes yesterday.  If anyone just needs a moderate stability shoe for long distance, wider toe box, and is just "normal" in pronation...any shoe recommendations? Would love to hear.)

Anyone else have plans for the summer in regards to making it all a "lifestyle"?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How does she do it?

There was a movie years back with that title, I think. Basically wondering how a mom could balance all the different area of life and keep it looking pretty good. Here's the answer: she's not doing it all. It's just not possible to "have it all together". Gah. Why do I try? Because I'm human.  And I'm ridiculous.  And I think I can. My kids keep me in check most of the time. Oh mom, you wanted to blow dry your hair in the morning?  And have that extra time to shave your legs in the shower? Mom, you're crazy.  You are just hanging with us.  No need to dry your hair or shave your legs!  Plus, I need you to hurry up and get out of the shower and tell Daddy that I can have chocolate for breakfast.  Puh-lease! Somedays I wonder why I even have a beautiful dry erase board to write down all my tasks for the day.  They just don't get done. What do I do all day then?  Where does my time go? (We won't go here because most parents

A twist on taco night!

Oh. my. goodness. These honey-lime sweet potato, black bean, & corn tacos were DELISH. We ate it up so fast that I forgot to even take a picture of how lovely it was. Please, please, please make these.  So good. A couple changes we did though: We put the mixture of the potatoes, beans, & corn on a bed of lettuce (1 cup).   I decreased the amount of honey it calls for from 3 TBSP to 1 TBSP and it was still plenty sweet.  I think next time I might omit it altogether b/c the sweet potatoes are well…already sweet.   For the toppings, we skipped the cheese and topped with 1 TBSP homemade guacamole and 1 TBSP homemade salsa.   It was a quick meal too to make.  Bonus for busy nights.   For those of you that count calories…it was a bit over 300 calories (around 310) for 1 heaping cup of the bean/potato/corn mixture (actually 1 1/6 cups) plus 2 cups of lettuce and 2 TBSP of each homemade guacamole and salsa.  To make it feel like I had "seconds" - I did a