Skip to main content

How does she do it?

There was a movie years back with that title, I think.

Basically wondering how a mom could balance all the different area of life and keep it looking pretty good.

Here's the answer: she's not doing it all.

It's just not possible to "have it all together".

Gah.

Why do I try?

Because I'm human.  And I'm ridiculous.  And I think I can.

My kids keep me in check most of the time.

Oh mom, you wanted to blow dry your hair in the morning?  And have that extra time to shave your legs in the shower?

Mom, you're crazy.  You are just hanging with us.  No need to dry your hair or shave your legs!  Plus, I need you to hurry up and get out of the shower and tell Daddy that I can have chocolate for breakfast.  Puh-lease!

Somedays I wonder why I even have a beautiful dry erase board to write down all my tasks for the day.  They just don't get done.

What do I do all day then?  Where does my time go?

(We won't go here because most parents know the answers to these questions.)

Instead of writing down what I need (or would like) to get done on the board for the day...I've found writing what I did get done to be much more effective.

Got out of bed.  Cross that off the list.

Fed the kids.  Cross that off the list.

Language class.  Cross that off the list.  (That one's easy because the teachers come to my home.)

You write stuff down too on your list that you've already done just so that you feel more productive?  I bet I'm not alone there ;)

This past week has been tougher.  Just trying to balance it all.

Spend time learning and growing in the Word.

Date my spouse.

Enjoy my kids.

Learn the language.

Talk to folks in the community - practice language.

Language homework.

Foster friendships (in person, through email, messages, video chat, etc, etc)

Workout.

Just some of those things.

We all have some basic lists of what we need to do daily.  Those are some of mine.

I'll also add in "live in another culture that's not my own" and suddenly all of these "basic" things for my day has become 10,000x's more stressful.

Everything takes much longer.

I'd give anything to pop into Aldi's real quick and do grocery shopping...even with all the kids.

So, trying to figure out life here and do just "normal" things for my day has me...

Tired.

Frustrated.

Overwhelmed.

Lazy.  (Why am I only getting one thing done in my day!?!)

Sad.

List could go on...but you get my point.

I've been working on shifting my focus to seeing all the things I've accomplished and things that I am "checking off my list" but, man, I'll be so honest...it's a challenge.

For me, when I'm stressed - getting a good workout in - relieves my stress.

It's my prayer time.

My quiet time.

My sanity time.

So, when there's no time for that...whew, my day just got harder.

My workouts have been more limited this past week.  Prob reason weight remained around the same and only went down 1/2 inch total.  I'll take it though.

How does she do it all?

She's not.

I'm not.

I'm a hot mess over here in SE Asia.  Ha!

Trying to trust Jesus that all these things that I want to accomplish in my day means...well, not a whole lot.

What means a whole lot is Him.

In my humanness...in my sinfulness...I forget this.  Constantly.

Thankful that He is Good.  And loves me even when I try to do it all.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Threw Out the Scale

A week ago I parted ways with our bathroom scale. Adios. Kwaheri. So long. See ya later. It didn't say what I wanted it to...so I tossed it out. :) True statement. But, a bit more to it than that. In about 10 days time, I gained 5kg. Folks, that's 11 pounds. Honestly, it's just not possible. Ok, maybe it is possible in a certain setting. But, I wasn't eating food like that to gain that weight or it wasn't like I wasn't not working out. It didn't make sense. Lack of sleep. (Tried to nap today.  Kyle declares me the worst napper ever.  He says I'm worse when I nap.  Thanks, love.) Stress. Sick.  (Just found out that this nasty lingering cough/tiredness for the past 6-7 weeks all of us have had is walking pneumonia.) Maybe it was my RA meds?  I've been on them for a while but maybe something shifted and that caused the weight gain? Maybe something else? I don't know. It was so depressing to know I just dropp

A twist on taco night!

Oh. my. goodness. These honey-lime sweet potato, black bean, & corn tacos were DELISH. We ate it up so fast that I forgot to even take a picture of how lovely it was. Please, please, please make these.  So good. A couple changes we did though: We put the mixture of the potatoes, beans, & corn on a bed of lettuce (1 cup).   I decreased the amount of honey it calls for from 3 TBSP to 1 TBSP and it was still plenty sweet.  I think next time I might omit it altogether b/c the sweet potatoes are well…already sweet.   For the toppings, we skipped the cheese and topped with 1 TBSP homemade guacamole and 1 TBSP homemade salsa.   It was a quick meal too to make.  Bonus for busy nights.   For those of you that count calories…it was a bit over 300 calories (around 310) for 1 heaping cup of the bean/potato/corn mixture (actually 1 1/6 cups) plus 2 cups of lettuce and 2 TBSP of each homemade guacamole and salsa.  To make it feel like I had "seconds" - I did a