Skip to main content

Stephanie.

About 18-20 years ago I started to baby-sit for this wonderful family at church that had 3 of my most favorite girls in the world.

We rode bikes, went swimming, played with their dog, watched some movies, and just well...had fun.

What made it even more fun was that our two families were good friends so we spent good time together.

I have enjoyed watching these girls grow up.  After going away to college, I didn't see them as often and every time I would have an opportunity to see them - I just felt like they grew up so quickly.

The three sisters now are obviously all adults and they are all just so lovely, talented, kind, educated, and beautiful women.

The reason I'm sharing this with you is that the youngest sister, Stephanie, has blessed my life in more ways than she'll probably ever know.

Steph is a nutritionist and a personal trainer.  She's also a wife, mom, chef at heart, motivator, & excellent encourager.

When I first started to change my eating habits, I secretly started looking at what she was posting on Facebook for meal ideas…oh and looking at her Pinterest boards.  I think I even emailed her a couple times for some ideas.

After giving birth to Natalie last March, I was ready to get moving and really change my lifestyle.  I reached out to her about helping me do meal planning and tips on working out after I was cleared by my doc to do that.

She immediately helped me out.  She asked me lots of questions to get to know what I was eating, what was available here (big issue for me!), how my back was doing (I had lots of back pain during my pregnancy), how much time I had to dedicate to workouts each day, what exercise equipment (if any) was available for me to use here…and the list went on.

She was so detailed in asking me questions and helping me get started.

I'll add this part too.  This is for anyone that might feel embarrassed about asking someone for help.  Not once…never once…did she make me bad for my previous choices in unhealthy eating and not working out.  She just joined me where I was at and encouraged me.

I love that.  That was so special to me.  There was grace.

Besides just helping me plan menus and sending me workouts, she taught me about nutrition.  She helped me figure out how to read labels, know portion sizes, and things like that so that I had all the information at my fingertips to do this on my own.

I've been working with her for almost a year now and I can say that she has been an essential key to my success.  I couldn't have done all this without her.

Very thankful for her.

I talk with her weekly and ask her all kinds of things.  Sometimes it's random.  Today, I asked her for a clean version of Oreos (Andrew requested them).  Other times, I've shared how things have stalled out and I need a jump start.

She immediately responds each time to encourage, share information, and brainstorm ideas with me.

And all this - from across the ocean.

So many times I have wished we were in the same city so that I could workout with her.

And, I'll be honest - one of top things I'm looking forward to when we head to the States later this year is training with her.  She's already blessing my socks off by taking me grocery shopping when we get back to help me figure out what's available there (and not get overwhelmed by all the choices).  We'll be eating in such a different way than when we were there last time so I'll need some help.

I share this post about her because she has been one of the key people in my life who has helped me out on this journey.

Stephanie and her husband, Jon, have a company called "Martin Nutrition & Fitness" and they have a challenge coming up called "New Year New You".  It's a 4 week comprehensive fitness and nutrition program to get you jump started into a healthy lifestyle.  It starts this coming Monday, January 19th.

Check out more info HERE on the challenge.

I've signed up.  Would you like to join me?  We can do this together.  Keep each other accountable.

Let me know if you do - I'd love to have a friend join me.

Thanks, Steph.  You rock.  Countdown is on till I can thank you in person and workout with you!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Threw Out the Scale

A week ago I parted ways with our bathroom scale. Adios. Kwaheri. So long. See ya later. It didn't say what I wanted it to...so I tossed it out. :) True statement. But, a bit more to it than that. In about 10 days time, I gained 5kg. Folks, that's 11 pounds. Honestly, it's just not possible. Ok, maybe it is possible in a certain setting. But, I wasn't eating food like that to gain that weight or it wasn't like I wasn't not working out. It didn't make sense. Lack of sleep. (Tried to nap today.  Kyle declares me the worst napper ever.  He says I'm worse when I nap.  Thanks, love.) Stress. Sick.  (Just found out that this nasty lingering cough/tiredness for the past 6-7 weeks all of us have had is walking pneumonia.) Maybe it was my RA meds?  I've been on them for a while but maybe something shifted and that caused the weight gain? Maybe something else? I don't know. It was so depressing to know I just dropp

How does she do it?

There was a movie years back with that title, I think. Basically wondering how a mom could balance all the different area of life and keep it looking pretty good. Here's the answer: she's not doing it all. It's just not possible to "have it all together". Gah. Why do I try? Because I'm human.  And I'm ridiculous.  And I think I can. My kids keep me in check most of the time. Oh mom, you wanted to blow dry your hair in the morning?  And have that extra time to shave your legs in the shower? Mom, you're crazy.  You are just hanging with us.  No need to dry your hair or shave your legs!  Plus, I need you to hurry up and get out of the shower and tell Daddy that I can have chocolate for breakfast.  Puh-lease! Somedays I wonder why I even have a beautiful dry erase board to write down all my tasks for the day.  They just don't get done. What do I do all day then?  Where does my time go? (We won't go here because most parents

A twist on taco night!

Oh. my. goodness. These honey-lime sweet potato, black bean, & corn tacos were DELISH. We ate it up so fast that I forgot to even take a picture of how lovely it was. Please, please, please make these.  So good. A couple changes we did though: We put the mixture of the potatoes, beans, & corn on a bed of lettuce (1 cup).   I decreased the amount of honey it calls for from 3 TBSP to 1 TBSP and it was still plenty sweet.  I think next time I might omit it altogether b/c the sweet potatoes are well…already sweet.   For the toppings, we skipped the cheese and topped with 1 TBSP homemade guacamole and 1 TBSP homemade salsa.   It was a quick meal too to make.  Bonus for busy nights.   For those of you that count calories…it was a bit over 300 calories (around 310) for 1 heaping cup of the bean/potato/corn mixture (actually 1 1/6 cups) plus 2 cups of lettuce and 2 TBSP of each homemade guacamole and salsa.  To make it feel like I had "seconds" - I did a