Skip to main content

Eating well is KEY

The way I started to focus on a healthier lifestyle was through trying to clean up my eating first.

I lowered the amount of cokes I was drinking and then lowered how many chips (french fries) I was eating.

SLOWLY (and I emphasis that word) I made changes to a healthier lifestyle.

I started to purchase more fresh produce for the house….instead of chocolate.

Things like that.

Nothing was done overnight.  I don't think that would have worked for me at all.  It's just not my personality.

My friend/trainer/nutritionist, Stephanie, taught me a ton about nutrition.  I read everything she sent to me on eating clean.

It all just clicked with me.

Then I watched a couple nutrition/food documentaries and those educated me as well.

After watching "Fed Up" our family cut out sugar.  That was one that was almost an overnight thing…a couple items took longer..but for the most part after watching the documentary, we went through our house and cleaned up our eating even more.

Now, do we still eat sugar?  Yes, but for special treats.  Yesterday for Mother's Day I wanted frozen yogurt.  Did I work for that frozen yogurt?  Heck yes I did!  I did a 2 mile run plus an 90 min workout plus a 80 min hike with my family.  There was no guilt in eating that frozen yogurt yesterday.

But, the key is - it's a special treat.  It's not an everyday thing…or a weekly thing.

This type of thinking is new for me.  I've always thought you could have a special treat everyday - and justify it somehow.

"Whew, I got ready in record time this morning.  Special treat time."

"Ooh, Kyle came home early from work - let's go out!"

It's definitely been a mind shift.

Since Wednesday, I've been able to pick up working out again after being off my foot for 3 weeks.  (Yes!!).  But during that 3 weeks, I focused on tightening up my eating.  And I lost weight during those 3 weeks.

During those 3 weeks I became even more convinced that eating well is essential to a healthy lifestyle.  I've known it - but it was put into practice even more.  Eating well is 70% of a healthy lifestyle…way more than the 30% of exercise.

This past week I've really focused on eating clean and staying in correct portion sizes…so combine that with coming back to work out again slowly…it's been great to see another 3 pounds gone in a week.

Eating clean gives your body the nutrients it needs and the fuel to do everyday living well.

This stuff just excites me now and I love talking about it.  Thankful for dear friends around me here in Kenya that are just as passionate about this as well…provides for daily encouragement!!  (Talking about you Hannah & Lauren!!)

If you want to chat about food, exercise or getting into a healthy lifestyle…I'm open to talking.  And I can also point you to my friend, Stephanie, who is trained and licensed in all these areas…she would love to talk with you as well!

Taking care of myself just feels so good and I desire for folks to feel the same.


Comments

  1. Sarah, I need more people like you in my life! To talk with everyday, to ask and encourage and challenge. After three pregnancies, two surgeries, and unhealthy habits remaining in five years, I am 35-40 lbs overweight. And I just can't seem to get the pounds off. I used to be a runner and love it. For me, I love exercise but turning my motivation to exercise and eat better into actually DOING it is a HUGE trouble spot for me. I need a good way to get started and stay on track. I guess everyone does, right? Thanks for sharing and for listening, friend. :) XO -Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I am looking forward to connecting with you later this year in person! Yea, I hear you - everyone has to find a way that works FOR THEM..and it's different for each person. I totally hear you. Thanks for writing this and sharing :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Threw Out the Scale

A week ago I parted ways with our bathroom scale. Adios. Kwaheri. So long. See ya later. It didn't say what I wanted it to...so I tossed it out. :) True statement. But, a bit more to it than that. In about 10 days time, I gained 5kg. Folks, that's 11 pounds. Honestly, it's just not possible. Ok, maybe it is possible in a certain setting. But, I wasn't eating food like that to gain that weight or it wasn't like I wasn't not working out. It didn't make sense. Lack of sleep. (Tried to nap today.  Kyle declares me the worst napper ever.  He says I'm worse when I nap.  Thanks, love.) Stress. Sick.  (Just found out that this nasty lingering cough/tiredness for the past 6-7 weeks all of us have had is walking pneumonia.) Maybe it was my RA meds?  I've been on them for a while but maybe something shifted and that caused the weight gain? Maybe something else? I don't know. It was so depressing to know I just dropp

How does she do it?

There was a movie years back with that title, I think. Basically wondering how a mom could balance all the different area of life and keep it looking pretty good. Here's the answer: she's not doing it all. It's just not possible to "have it all together". Gah. Why do I try? Because I'm human.  And I'm ridiculous.  And I think I can. My kids keep me in check most of the time. Oh mom, you wanted to blow dry your hair in the morning?  And have that extra time to shave your legs in the shower? Mom, you're crazy.  You are just hanging with us.  No need to dry your hair or shave your legs!  Plus, I need you to hurry up and get out of the shower and tell Daddy that I can have chocolate for breakfast.  Puh-lease! Somedays I wonder why I even have a beautiful dry erase board to write down all my tasks for the day.  They just don't get done. What do I do all day then?  Where does my time go? (We won't go here because most parents

A twist on taco night!

Oh. my. goodness. These honey-lime sweet potato, black bean, & corn tacos were DELISH. We ate it up so fast that I forgot to even take a picture of how lovely it was. Please, please, please make these.  So good. A couple changes we did though: We put the mixture of the potatoes, beans, & corn on a bed of lettuce (1 cup).   I decreased the amount of honey it calls for from 3 TBSP to 1 TBSP and it was still plenty sweet.  I think next time I might omit it altogether b/c the sweet potatoes are well…already sweet.   For the toppings, we skipped the cheese and topped with 1 TBSP homemade guacamole and 1 TBSP homemade salsa.   It was a quick meal too to make.  Bonus for busy nights.   For those of you that count calories…it was a bit over 300 calories (around 310) for 1 heaping cup of the bean/potato/corn mixture (actually 1 1/6 cups) plus 2 cups of lettuce and 2 TBSP of each homemade guacamole and salsa.  To make it feel like I had "seconds" - I did a