Skip to main content

I never thought...

I never thought I would be one of those people that special requests items on a menu.

Until recently, I ate what everyone else did.  I ate the lasagna that the grandma brought to the church picnic.  I ate pizza at small group night.  I would go out with friends and get ice cream.

Even going to someone else's home - I would just eat what was offered.

Until now.

Friends have invited us over for dinner and I've asked what's being served or if it's all right if I bring my own food.

I requested clean, non-processed, non-sugar items for an upcoming conference and because the food is being cooked for lots of people - that's not possible (and I can understand that).  I was sent the menu for the conference and I will be honest - I almost got sick looking over the options.

I honestly never thought I would be one of those people that requests special items or says "no worries, I'll make my own food and bring it".

But here I am doing that.

After learning much in this process of becoming healthy and fit…after learning about nutrition and how to properly fuel our body…I just can't (and have no desire) to eat what I used to eat.

Things are changing for sure.

I'm a bit surprised at myself.

I honestly never thought I would become this person.  (How many times can I say that?)

But, I've become that person.

Of course, I love sweets.  My friend made these amazing clean chocolate peanut butter cups the other day - so delicious!  (Yea, Lauren!!)

And of course, I have my cheats.  Like going out to eat for dates.  But even going out to eat - I try to pick a healthy option.  (Sushi is a great option, friends!)

I want great food for my body.  I want great food for my family.

Eating well makes us feel good.  Gives us energy.  I like that.

And, I guess if I have to be the one to say "can i bring something healthy?  or can I bring my own food?" then that's a good thing.

Now just to work on not feeling awful about it.  Does that make sense?

Because my eyes have been opened to making healthy choices - I now desire for folks to eat like how we are eating but I also don't want to make someone feel bad for their choices because I've been there too.

That part seems difficult to me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Threw Out the Scale

A week ago I parted ways with our bathroom scale. Adios. Kwaheri. So long. See ya later. It didn't say what I wanted it to...so I tossed it out. :) True statement. But, a bit more to it than that. In about 10 days time, I gained 5kg. Folks, that's 11 pounds. Honestly, it's just not possible. Ok, maybe it is possible in a certain setting. But, I wasn't eating food like that to gain that weight or it wasn't like I wasn't not working out. It didn't make sense. Lack of sleep. (Tried to nap today.  Kyle declares me the worst napper ever.  He says I'm worse when I nap.  Thanks, love.) Stress. Sick.  (Just found out that this nasty lingering cough/tiredness for the past 6-7 weeks all of us have had is walking pneumonia.) Maybe it was my RA meds?  I've been on them for a while but maybe something shifted and that caused the weight gain? Maybe something else? I don't know. It was so depressing to know I just dropp

How does she do it?

There was a movie years back with that title, I think. Basically wondering how a mom could balance all the different area of life and keep it looking pretty good. Here's the answer: she's not doing it all. It's just not possible to "have it all together". Gah. Why do I try? Because I'm human.  And I'm ridiculous.  And I think I can. My kids keep me in check most of the time. Oh mom, you wanted to blow dry your hair in the morning?  And have that extra time to shave your legs in the shower? Mom, you're crazy.  You are just hanging with us.  No need to dry your hair or shave your legs!  Plus, I need you to hurry up and get out of the shower and tell Daddy that I can have chocolate for breakfast.  Puh-lease! Somedays I wonder why I even have a beautiful dry erase board to write down all my tasks for the day.  They just don't get done. What do I do all day then?  Where does my time go? (We won't go here because most parents

A twist on taco night!

Oh. my. goodness. These honey-lime sweet potato, black bean, & corn tacos were DELISH. We ate it up so fast that I forgot to even take a picture of how lovely it was. Please, please, please make these.  So good. A couple changes we did though: We put the mixture of the potatoes, beans, & corn on a bed of lettuce (1 cup).   I decreased the amount of honey it calls for from 3 TBSP to 1 TBSP and it was still plenty sweet.  I think next time I might omit it altogether b/c the sweet potatoes are well…already sweet.   For the toppings, we skipped the cheese and topped with 1 TBSP homemade guacamole and 1 TBSP homemade salsa.   It was a quick meal too to make.  Bonus for busy nights.   For those of you that count calories…it was a bit over 300 calories (around 310) for 1 heaping cup of the bean/potato/corn mixture (actually 1 1/6 cups) plus 2 cups of lettuce and 2 TBSP of each homemade guacamole and salsa.  To make it feel like I had "seconds" - I did a