Skip to main content

35th Year: The Year of Me

Tomorrow begins my 36th year of life.

My 35th year of life has been nothing short of amazing.

One year ago on my birthday, my husband and I sat at our favorite little sushi and Korean restaurant in Nairobi and we together declared this year as the "year of me".

Ha.

Sounds a bit narcissistic, eh?

Selfish?

At first I was like…this is silly.

But it wasn't.

Not even in the slightest.

In my 35th year of life, I decided it was time to take care of me and learn how to be healthy.

I am beyond thankful for my husband who has supported EVERY SINGLE DAY of this past year.  He has encouraged me beyond measure.  Only uplifting and positive words have come from his mouth this entire year.  He pushes me.  Motivates me.  Challenges me.  Tells me how proud he is of me and how much he loves me.

I am blessed.

Learning about nutrition and how to properly fuel my body has been life-giving.  I am forever indebted to Stephanie Martin (check out her new business with her husband here!) and all she has taught me about eating real, wholesome food (not to mention how to build muscle and workout)!

I'll say this once.  Friends, you don't need all those extra things like shakes, supplements, etc (are you going to take those for the rest of your life?)…you can eat well and be healthy using just real, whole foods that you can purchase anywhere.  It's a lifestyle.  Do something that you can do for the long haul…for your entire life!  (Ok, off my soapbox.)

There are countless people that I could thank for this past year.  It has been incredibly sweet.

A few I want to mention though…

My mom and my sisters.  Weekly emails sharing our hearts, workouts, nutrition..and just plain lifting one another up.  That's what we have done over the past year.  I couldn't have done this without them.  They have made this journey so fun and motivating!  They too, have changed their lifestyles with all 3 of them becoming healthy and more fit!  #runners #fitfam (I have to throw in some hashtags for you, Rachel.)

Hannah Covert.  My soul sister in Kenya.  I just love you, girl.  You have not only cheered me on in this new lifestyle but encouraged me in my walk with the Lord by holding me accountable for so many areas in my life.  And my walk with the Lord is even more valuable than this healthy one.  I can't wait to hang out with you again and share some coffee or tea together and laugh and laugh and laugh.  Ok, and probably cry.  Cheering you on as you run the Chicago marathon soon.  #yousogotthis

Dana Brown.  Last Christmas, this gal, gifted me with some motivational mini cards to put up in my house to view on a regular basis and keep me on track.  I don't think she knows this but I have carried those cards with me everywhere and each of the 14 houses we have stayed in since she gave me those cards - I have put up to view and see on a regular basis.  Daily motivation to keep going.  Dana, I am thankful for our friendship.  You give wise counsel and ask great questions.  You keep me on my toes and thinking through things.  I really treasure you.

Ladies in my Bible study.  So many times these ladies prayed for me along my journey and their words of encouragement are too many to count.  I can't wait to get back home and start up in study again!

Folks that wrote me and asked how I was doing this or wrote to say I'm an inspiration.  Wow.  I love each of you.  You keep me going.  For real.  You keep me going and staying on track.  I'm inspired by so many of you that have written me and shared your heart and hurts and joys.  It's been an honor to hear your stories.  You are on my heart and I pray for each of you.

And to a certain counselor and a friend that has since gone to be with Jesus that years ago that shared the Gospel with me and what it means to be a daughter of the King and how to trust and be real…I love you both.  Too many tears here now.  You both planted some good stuff in me.

This past year is just the beginning.

I'm so happy that this year was the "year of me".  Even as funny as it is to say.

It's changed everything in my life from the physical to the spiritual.

Looking forward to this 36th year of life and on and all the sweet things that will happen.

Life is beautiful.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Threw Out the Scale

A week ago I parted ways with our bathroom scale. Adios. Kwaheri. So long. See ya later. It didn't say what I wanted it to...so I tossed it out. :) True statement. But, a bit more to it than that. In about 10 days time, I gained 5kg. Folks, that's 11 pounds. Honestly, it's just not possible. Ok, maybe it is possible in a certain setting. But, I wasn't eating food like that to gain that weight or it wasn't like I wasn't not working out. It didn't make sense. Lack of sleep. (Tried to nap today.  Kyle declares me the worst napper ever.  He says I'm worse when I nap.  Thanks, love.) Stress. Sick.  (Just found out that this nasty lingering cough/tiredness for the past 6-7 weeks all of us have had is walking pneumonia.) Maybe it was my RA meds?  I've been on them for a while but maybe something shifted and that caused the weight gain? Maybe something else? I don't know. It was so depressing to know I just dropp

How does she do it?

There was a movie years back with that title, I think. Basically wondering how a mom could balance all the different area of life and keep it looking pretty good. Here's the answer: she's not doing it all. It's just not possible to "have it all together". Gah. Why do I try? Because I'm human.  And I'm ridiculous.  And I think I can. My kids keep me in check most of the time. Oh mom, you wanted to blow dry your hair in the morning?  And have that extra time to shave your legs in the shower? Mom, you're crazy.  You are just hanging with us.  No need to dry your hair or shave your legs!  Plus, I need you to hurry up and get out of the shower and tell Daddy that I can have chocolate for breakfast.  Puh-lease! Somedays I wonder why I even have a beautiful dry erase board to write down all my tasks for the day.  They just don't get done. What do I do all day then?  Where does my time go? (We won't go here because most parents

A twist on taco night!

Oh. my. goodness. These honey-lime sweet potato, black bean, & corn tacos were DELISH. We ate it up so fast that I forgot to even take a picture of how lovely it was. Please, please, please make these.  So good. A couple changes we did though: We put the mixture of the potatoes, beans, & corn on a bed of lettuce (1 cup).   I decreased the amount of honey it calls for from 3 TBSP to 1 TBSP and it was still plenty sweet.  I think next time I might omit it altogether b/c the sweet potatoes are well…already sweet.   For the toppings, we skipped the cheese and topped with 1 TBSP homemade guacamole and 1 TBSP homemade salsa.   It was a quick meal too to make.  Bonus for busy nights.   For those of you that count calories…it was a bit over 300 calories (around 310) for 1 heaping cup of the bean/potato/corn mixture (actually 1 1/6 cups) plus 2 cups of lettuce and 2 TBSP of each homemade guacamole and salsa.  To make it feel like I had "seconds" - I did a