Skip to main content

Review of 2015

How was your 2015?

I have been doing a lot of reflecting on this year - easy to do this time of year - and thinking about my goals and things I have my eyes set on for next year.

To be honest, the past couple of days my mind and heart has been heavy at thinking of all the people I have known that have passed away this past year.

Husbands, a wife, children...my own grandma.  All I can do is pray for these families that have lost a loved one.

This year has been full.  For sure.

We started off in Kenya and are closing out the year Stateside.

Nattie traveled to the States for the first time.

We all visited beautiful Switzerland for a missions conference and were thoroughly thrown off by the sun being out past 11pm.

Kyle represented BlueSky and SIM at conferences and traveled to a couple different countries for meetings and trainings.

We traveled to 18 different States in the fall while sharing with friends and churches about our work and life in Kenya.

Andrew turned 4 in August and is challenging his parents with all of his "how does this work" type questions.  (Quick, hon, google it!)

Natalie turned 1 in March, started walking on her namesake's birthday, and brings so much light and laughter to our family...even as she is fully into toddlerhood now!  (You can read between the lines for that one!)

Kyle and I celebrated 5 years of marriage in Switzerland in the beautiful Alps.  Yea, that was amazing.

Such a good year, really.

Health wise 2015 was excellent.

Hit 100 pounds lost in February.  About a month later and more pounds lighter, I weighed less than my husband.  Oh yea!!  (Since then he has picked me up and carried me around...a dream come true!)

Weight continued to drop until we hit the States and I've remained about the same since arriving.

Except for these 8 pounds I gained from taking new medication.

Which is where the Rheumatoid Arthritis diagnosis came in beginning of December.

Even though that diagnosis has been difficult to hear and start to navigate though, 2015 has still been so good health wise.

I've picked up new recipes to make for my family.  I love to feed my family healthy foods.  (Fave new recipe  might be either the sag paneer or simply figuring out how to cook a spaghetti squash!)

I held plank for 5 minutes (yep, a one time deal.  Ha!) and would like to work back up to that again.

Attempted to run 2 half marathons this year and both didn't happen.  I'm sure I will be able to do that in time though!

Shopped for clothes in stores that I only dreamed of and started wearing sizes that made my mind spin.

And to be honest here...have enjoyed some chocolate, good cheat meals (Indian food I'm looking at you!), days off from working out, and yes - have battled wars in my mind with all I see is fat everywhere.  Hey, I'm being honest.

Overall, though, a pretty amazing year.  I really feel like this year has solidified our family's way of eating in a healthy and balanced way.  I say that because even with being back in the States (where the joke is for everyone overseas that everyone comes back from the States heavier) we have been able to maintain where we are at with eating well.  We enjoy healthy and clean foods.  It gives us the fuel we need to run...lift...bike...swim...whatever we desire.

I'm looking forward to the next couple of days as I come up with some of my goals for 2016.  One of the big ones I know though?  Returning back home.

More soon.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Day I Threw Out the Scale

A week ago I parted ways with our bathroom scale. Adios. Kwaheri. So long. See ya later. It didn't say what I wanted it to...so I tossed it out. :) True statement. But, a bit more to it than that. In about 10 days time, I gained 5kg. Folks, that's 11 pounds. Honestly, it's just not possible. Ok, maybe it is possible in a certain setting. But, I wasn't eating food like that to gain that weight or it wasn't like I wasn't not working out. It didn't make sense. Lack of sleep. (Tried to nap today.  Kyle declares me the worst napper ever.  He says I'm worse when I nap.  Thanks, love.) Stress. Sick.  (Just found out that this nasty lingering cough/tiredness for the past 6-7 weeks all of us have had is walking pneumonia.) Maybe it was my RA meds?  I've been on them for a while but maybe something shifted and that caused the weight gain? Maybe something else? I don't know. It was so depressing to know I just dropp

How does she do it?

There was a movie years back with that title, I think. Basically wondering how a mom could balance all the different area of life and keep it looking pretty good. Here's the answer: she's not doing it all. It's just not possible to "have it all together". Gah. Why do I try? Because I'm human.  And I'm ridiculous.  And I think I can. My kids keep me in check most of the time. Oh mom, you wanted to blow dry your hair in the morning?  And have that extra time to shave your legs in the shower? Mom, you're crazy.  You are just hanging with us.  No need to dry your hair or shave your legs!  Plus, I need you to hurry up and get out of the shower and tell Daddy that I can have chocolate for breakfast.  Puh-lease! Somedays I wonder why I even have a beautiful dry erase board to write down all my tasks for the day.  They just don't get done. What do I do all day then?  Where does my time go? (We won't go here because most parents

A twist on taco night!

Oh. my. goodness. These honey-lime sweet potato, black bean, & corn tacos were DELISH. We ate it up so fast that I forgot to even take a picture of how lovely it was. Please, please, please make these.  So good. A couple changes we did though: We put the mixture of the potatoes, beans, & corn on a bed of lettuce (1 cup).   I decreased the amount of honey it calls for from 3 TBSP to 1 TBSP and it was still plenty sweet.  I think next time I might omit it altogether b/c the sweet potatoes are well…already sweet.   For the toppings, we skipped the cheese and topped with 1 TBSP homemade guacamole and 1 TBSP homemade salsa.   It was a quick meal too to make.  Bonus for busy nights.   For those of you that count calories…it was a bit over 300 calories (around 310) for 1 heaping cup of the bean/potato/corn mixture (actually 1 1/6 cups) plus 2 cups of lettuce and 2 TBSP of each homemade guacamole and salsa.  To make it feel like I had "seconds" - I did a